Episode 24: Psalm 146 reminds us of how powerful God is as Creator. We explore one of his more mysterious sea creatures, the often misunderstood Argonaut. Then we hear a report on DNA, the ultimate builders’ guide, authored by God!
If you enjoy the show, please leave us a rating (which takes 5 seconds) or review (2 minutes, tops). Thanks!
Praise the Creator!
Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul.
While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.
Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.
Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:
Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever: Psalm 146:1-6
This week’s show breaks down the psalm writer’s line of reasoning as he sets up his worship of God. Be sure to catch the rest of the psalm as it continues with how God is involved in each of our lives no matter how difficult they get for a time.
Argonauts, aka the Paper Nautilus
It was amazing to me that I’d never heard of these fascinating creatures until running into them in the Creation Magazine put out by Creation Ministries International. Then to discover that these things have been studied (or guessed about) since the time of the Greeks.
How fun to learn more about such an under appreciated bit of God’s creation!
Besides getting your own copy of the article, the best resources I’ve found are
- YouTube video the author links to (just 5 minutes and covers the history, scientific study, and great footage of them swimming):
- An article with more about their lifestyle at Tree of Life web project (except for the Origins section, it’s all observable science and adds cool details- did you know they sometimes piggyback on jellyfish?)
- For a print version of how and why the study of Argonauts and air bubbles came about, you can check out the BBC’s article
DNA: the Secret Code for Life
This episode’s podcast covers some of the basics. Our sources were:
- ScienceWiz DNA Experiment Kit (Amazon Affiliate link) from Christmas
- And my own manuscript with too many links to include here
We also mentioned the YouTube video (just under 2 minutes) animating how DNA gets copied onto RNA without destroying anything:
For some basics about this extraordinary molecule you could start with
- What is DNA? National Institute of Health with even more links.
- Penn State has a fun page of Nano-Activities for kids on DNA
This is a huge topic and I’ve got a couple more articles on the subject:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
The same was in the beginning with God.
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. John 1:1-3