When I first started writing about creation science, I thought it would be wonderful to interview scientists who honor Jesus as the Creator. It’d be fun to find out the kinds of things kids would want to know about them. But I was just a mom who decided to start a website, why should they give me any time? So, I forgot about it.
Now, there are enough of you listening it doesn’t feel (as) cheeky to ask a few guys (and ladies if I can catch them) for a bit of their precious time. In fact, I’ve already contacted Dr. Jay Wile, nuclear chemist, who is willing to help. He just wonders what we want to know. Oh, joy!
But, what to ask? A number of scientists have written a short biography in the book Persuaded by the Evidence or online. We would want to know rather different things for CS4K.
Here’s what I’m thinking of:
It would be exciting if some of you all grow up to be scientists yourself. Picturing what it’s like getting your degree and standing out from the crowd as a Creationist could be a real help if you’re nervous!
I’ll do the work to find out about each scientist, so I can ask questions just for them. But questions straight from kids would be awesome.
What do you think of the list so far:
- When did you know you wanted to become a scientist?
- Do you like all the branches of science, or do you find some bits dull?
- Did you already know Jesus going through school, or did you find Him afterwards?
- What convinced you that evolution wasn’t all it’s cracked up to be? (in words that don’t cross our eyes)
- What was the hardest thing for you going through college?
- If a young person asked you for advice on becoming a scientist, what would you tell them?
- What is the coolest thing you’ve ever worked on?
- What was the most surprising?
- What does it take to be a good scientist?
- Did you have people in your life encourage you to study science?
- Why is science important as a Christian?
- What is the funniest thing you’ve experienced as a scientist?
- Scientists have to memorize all kinds of crazy names. Do you find memorizing the Bible connects with this?
- What’s your favorite piece of equipment and why?
Doesn’t this get you excited?
Toss me a reply if you have any ideas to add to the list, and especially if you have a favorite creation scientist you’d like to hear from. If I have a kid’s request when contacting them, I’ll be way braver and bet it’ll make their day, too!
Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD. Psalm 34:11