[Podcast Episode 68] Does Jesus care about new technology? What did he give us our minds for? We explore the answers God gives us in Proverbs and then turn to an exciting creation ministry focusing on kids in the Pacific Northwest: Northwest Treasures.
If you enjoy the show, please leave us a rating (which takes 5 seconds) or review (2 minutes, tops). Thanks!
Proverbs 8:12 I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.
This has been one of my favorite verses for years, but a quick look at Bible Gateway shows that not many other translations give us such a cool picture of inventing things. So, it was time to see what’s going on in the Hebrew.
Here are some other verses that give us a fuller picture of what this proverb is trying to describe:
- Exodus 21:14 But if a man come presumptuously upon his neighbour, to slay him with guile; thou shalt take him from mine altar, that he may die.
- Joshua 9:4 They did work wilily, and went and made as if they had been ambassadors, and took old sacks upon their asses, and wine bottles, old, and rent, and bound up;
- Psalm 37:7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
- Proverbs 24:8 He that deviseth to do evil shall be called a mischievous person.
- Jeremiah 23:20 The anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly.
These words certainly mean to use our brains fully! The question is, will we choose to be bad guys or take Jesus’ advice to
“be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.”
You can see the first book we mention in our review there on the top right. They have a whole collection of Geology for Little Eyes as well as much more for older students. The Nurre’s have put out a lot of material for us to use with our kids!
Whether or not you homeschool it is worth the time to browse around their website and see what they have to offer and dream about an amazing outing or vacation with them in one of God’s beautiful corners of the globe.
We also enjoy their YouTube channel. Just watching his videos is a quick, visual introduction to geology for free! Here’s the one we mention about road cuts from just before we recorded the podcast:
Thank you, Pat and Vickie!
And their last name rhymes with “curry” and “furry”: Nurre! 😀
PS Pat wrote me back about what he believes about granite formation and we’re actually on the same page:
“I am not a strict creation week granite kind of guy. The point I wanted to make to the kids was that no one has ever seen granite forming and so, a possible solution was to see that they could have been created quickly at creation. I have read most of Taz Walker’s material and he is pretty much in the same place.”
If you want to see what creationists have to say about granite formation, I’d start with one of my favorite geologists, Tas Walker’s, thoughts at Creation Ministries International. You can always search for more on Search Creation.org!